Cosmos and Mathematics are approaching
18 June 2019
Hi there! Georgios Dimitroglou Rizell at the Department of Mathematics, one of the organizers of the international String-Math conference in the University Main Building in Uppsala on 1–5 July. On 6 July ,the public lectures Cosmos and Mathematics will be held with physicist Cumrun Vafa and mathematician Edward Frenkel.
What is the purpose of the conference?
"String math is an international conference that alternates between universities from all over the world. This year it is arranged in Uppsala jointly by the division for theoretical physics and the department of mathematics. It is the largest of the conferences in string theory, and it is of interest from both the perspectives of physics and mathematics. This conference is an important forum where researchers from both areas can meet and learn about the latest developments in the field."
Why are you holding public lectures on 6 July?
"Many world leading scientists from the field will be in Uppsala during the week of the conference, and some of them are also known for giving interesting popular science lectures to a broad audience. We have selected a physicist, Cumrun Vafa, and a mathematician, Edward Frenkel, who both are particularly appreciated for their lectures. Edward Frenkel has also received a great deal of attention for his bestselling popular science book about mathematics."
What do you hope the audience will take away with them from the lectures?
"We hope that the general public will get an insight into the beauty of mathematics, despite its complexity, as well as into the question about what it can tell us about our universe. Many people are probably superficially acquainted with string theory, since it is a theory that has been easy to popularise. But on the other hand, few outside of academia knows that string theory builds upon an exciting interplay between todays cutting edge research within both mathematics and physics."
The lectures are free but you have to book your spot here
- Three new departments from Engineering Sciences 14 januari 2020
- Popular exit course for doctoral students 14 januari 2020
- First prize to Uppsala student at E-lab Joint Event 2019 19 december 2019
- Register your publications in DiVA no later than 8 January 26 november 2019
- Carl Johan Casten Carlberg is Uppsala Student of 2019 19 november 2019
- Careers fair: Time for an eco-labelled Utnarm 04 november 2019
- Researcher Profile: “The idea is to derive new generic molecular models” 10 oktober 2019
- Research Infrastructure to Meet Tomorrow’s Challenges 10 oktober 2019
- Panel discussion with Niklas Zennström: “I am optimistic” 09 oktober 2019
- One Year into the University’s Largest Construction Project 07 oktober 2019
- What’s around the corner – with Johan Tysk 09 september 2019
- The Solar Cell Researcher heading CEMUS 05 september 2019
- The paper filter that can clean water in Bangladesh 23 augusti 2019
- Cosmos and Mathematics are approaching 18 juni 2019
- Students get to try out advanced bioprocess technologies at the Testa Center 18 juni 2019
- “It’s OK to be driven by curiosity alone” 14 maj 2019
- Participate in our safety survey! 13 maj 2019
- Share your experience about "Swedishness" to new students 02 maj 2019
- Artificial intelligence in support of humankind 29 april 2019
- Become a student ambassador! 24 april 2019