How does one become a PhD student?
The entry requirements for postgraduate education are as follows:
- General entry requirement, i.e. a degree at advanced level (Master's level) or fulfill the requirements for courses comprising of at least 240 credits of which at least 60 credits are at advanced level (Master's level) or the equivalent.
- Specific entry requirement, i.e. knowledge gained from university education or equivalent or specific vocational experience.
- The applicant must be judged to have the ability needed to complete the postgraduate education.
Advertisement of positions
Available positions as doctoral student are advertised, by the department offering postgraduate education in the subject/specialisation. Advertisements can be made at central level or at department/section level. The Faculty does not have a single common enrolment date for all departments.
- Advertisements of PhD positions at Uppsala University
- List of departments, institutions etc within the Faculty of Science and Technology
Application for admission to postgraduate education is made on a specific form, directly to the department offering that subject/specialisation. To be eligable for postgraduate education you must meet the general and the specific entry requirements and be judged to have the ability to complete the postgraduate education. The specific entry requirements are stated in the curriculum for the subject/specialisation.
- Documents, forms and templates for applications and agreements within the faculty
- Subject curriculums witin the faculty
The head of the department of the subject/specialization admits doctoral students. Doctoral students with other funding than employment as doctoral student at Uppsala University, i.e. industry-based doctoral students, students with scholarships, students employed at another higher education institution, part-time students, and licentiate students, are accepted by the Faculty Board on the recommendation of the Postgraduate Education Board.
Admission is decided after consultation with the supervisors at the department. An individual study plan should be drawn up in connection with an admission.